St Kilda Community Housing (SCH) – and its predecessor the St Kilda Rooming House Issues Group – has provided affordable accommodation options for single people in the St Kilda area since incorporation in 1984. Over the past 33 years SCH has worked hard to improve the quality of housing for single people.
We have helped develop and design programs for tenants in order to maximise their community involvement, including:
- social meals programs;
- creative writing opportunities;
- dental health care services; and
- a variety of social activities.
Our work is based upon the belief that rooming house tenants have the same rights to social inclusion and engagement as any other members of our community. Whilst the nature of rooming houses is changing as more single rooms become converted to bedsits and self-contained flats, the emphasis upon inclusion and community will remain at the forefront of our work.
SCH works in partnership with a number of local agencies including:
Our Mission is to build housing communities in the St Kilda area for people who may:
- lack strong family attachments while experiencing social disadvantage;
- have special needs, such as a mental illness, drug and/or alcohol dependence;
- be disadvantaged by a lack of financial resources when competing in mainstream housing markets; and
- have a history of homelessness or be at risk of homelessness.
Our aim is to:
- provide affordable housing in a community setting;
- preserve and enhance singles’ housing stock;
- improve housing and support programs for low income people with special needs
- develop innovative housing models; and
- provide a safe and secure housing environment.